Monday, October 04, 2010

Fly Fishing Kayak






The latest creation is this custom Mill Creek 13 kayak outfitted for fly fishing. I'll have the pleasure of seeing it often as it will be living across the street from my shop. I like that far more than seeing my boats drive away on a trailer to far away homes taking a little part of me with them. Can't help but get attached.

Built from okoume plywood and epoxy this kayak is lighter and more rigid than similar plastic boats and has a much nicer "feel" on the water. Paddle a wood boat and you'd be hard pressed to get back in plastic. It does potentially require more upkeep but by exercising a little care and storing the boat under cover the efforts are minimal. I've always thought a small price to pay for the elegance and style of a varnished deck and high gloss hull.
Hopefully, next year we'll have some exciting "Striper Tales" to share. Fish on!