Monday, November 26, 2007

Oh how the summer flew by.



And now it sounds as though winter is set to freeze us in our tracks. I'm pretty much ready for it physically but find it hard these days to wrap my mind around the theory. Maybe it is my Southern California upbringing or my sorta advancing years (hey, I'm still a kid at heart) but I absolutely hate being cold.

I haven't always felt this way. When I moved to Maine in 1976 It couldn't get cold enough or snow deep enough to bring me down. There was skiing, snowmobiling, woodstoves and woodpiles to occupy my time. Life in Maine was a challenge compared to life in San Diego. Not preparing for winter here means a world of trouble and misery. In San Diego you just go to the beach! As proud as I am to have survived Maine this long, I have begun to long for the carefree (and warmer) winter days of my youth. Well, at least from now until the end of March................

I've been busy doing a bunch of different projects since I finished the last little skiff but most of the work has been away from my shop. The most significant job has been with another independent builder. We are doing a series of non-functional crew shell replicas to be used as decoration in a national chain of stores. Can't say who or where yet, but I can show you what they look like finished (less oars and riggers which they will have when hung) and will also add a series of construction photos to show how they go together.

So, here is to longer days and warmer temps.............