Sunday, July 06, 2008

Nesting Dingy Delivered

I'm happy to say I've finished and delivered my latest, a "nesting dingy" by Danny Greene of Offshore Design, LTD, Paget, Bermuda. This little boat looks great on the water and I look forward to a performance report from the owners.



Don't let the size of this design fool you, it is a big project. (Fool who, me)? I always assume the first build of any design will take extra time to complete, that is a given, but what I failed to see was all the extra work involved in building a boat in two floating halves. The bottom line is, I could have built two conventional dingies in about the same time. So, live and learn, there goes my summer.

Built of 6mm Okume plywood, fiberglass and epoxy, each individual half of the boat is light enough for one person to move around although the size of the aft section makes one person handling difficult. Best done with two. Three bolts join the two sections together. They are located above the waterline so in theory you could place both halves in the water, jump in the aft section and pull the two halves together. I haven't heard yet if this is true or not..............




It should do well with a small outboard if you have some long hauls to make although the 7'-6" oars give plenty of pulling power. The plans also show details for adding a sail rig.
Clean Machine, isn't it?